[arin-ppml] Fraud reporting and self-incrimination

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Nov 5 22:13:09 EDT 2010

In a message written on Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:58:28PM -0400, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> Do you think we could get another year or two our of v4 if we are able to
> recover any addresses that are being utilized fraudulently?
>
> Ron? Ted? Leo?

I don't think looking for abandoned for fraudulent resources is a
method to extend the useful life of IPv4 by any significant measure.

While I think some of the best reasons to expend resources on this
problem have nothing to do with IPv4 exhaustion, there is one way
in which I think it has a significant impact on the end-game.  When
there is no more IPv4 and folks are in a situation where they are
having to buy space it will be very hard for ARIN to explain why
they should pay $1000, $10000, or $100000 for number resources on
an open market when their are resources still allocated to defunct
companies.

You can't offer a defunct company money, so unlike many under-utilized
resources the transfer process may flesh out with the lure of cash
these resources will be permanently stranded unless ARIN acts.  I
believe ARIN, and ARIN alone can solve this problem, it's not one
community action or a market can fix.