[arin-ppml] Fraud reporting and self-incrimination

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Nov 5 16:30:58 EDT 2010

It occurs to me that if a network manager at an org that fraudulently
obtained IP addressing from ARIN were to be, lets say, fired, and if
in revenge he were to contact ARIN and be willing to provide testimony
under deposition that he knowingly fraudulently obtained said resources,
that any decent attorney would tell him before he opened his mouth
to ARIN that he secure a guarantee from ARIN that he would NOT be
prosecuted for breaking the law. (ie: a whistle-blower clause)  Said
attorney might also advise that the org might obtain his name through
legal discovery and proceed to file a civil lawsuit for NDA or trade
secret violations, would they not?

If such a guarantee does not currently exist, it would seem to be to
be a very large deterrent to such ex-employees blowing the whistle.

Perhaps ARIN might find their fraud reporting greatly enhanced if they
were to publish that they offer whistle blower protection?

I don't see that ARIN can really do much with anonymous reporting of
fraud cases.  If ARIN gets an anonymous report from an ex-employee of
fraud, and they pull resources from an org, and that org sues ARIN for
breech of contract, then what evidence does ARIN have?  An anonymous
report is not going to be usable to ARIN to defend itself in a court.

Comments?

Ted