[arin-ppml] Audits

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Nov 5 13:55:44 EDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 12:53 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> From what I observed, Ron offered a list of more than 30 ARIN-managed
> IPv4 allocations which were (to a moderate degree of confidence)
> abandoned and (to a lesser degree of confidence) associated with
> defunct organizations.
>
> 1. Did ARIN make any assessment as to whether any of the allocations
> were abandoned by their registrant? Why or why not?

Bill -

  We investigate all Internet number resource fraud reports that are
  submitted to <https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>  We
  do not investigate allegations made on the mailing lists, and for
  the sake of the mailing list subscribers do not intend to change
  that practice.

> 2. Did ARIN make any assessment as to whether any of the associated
> resource holders were defunct? Why or why not?
>
> 3. Based on any assessments made, did ARIN initiate any audit or
> recovery actions? Why or why not?

  Findings of Internet number resource fraud reports are posted on
  online also at <https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>.
  We've also increased the level of detail in the findings reports
  in recent quarters per community request.

  (As I have noted already, Ron has submitted several number resource
  fraud reports recently which have resulted in more than a dozen
  address blocks being reclaimed as a result...)

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN