[arin-ppml] audit tools and techniques

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Nov 5 07:27:20 EDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 3:53 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> P.S.  Although it may seem otherwise, my actual goal is not to simply
> criticise or throw rocks at ARIN's existing utilization review processes,
> but rather to try to offer (if it would be accepted) some of my own tools
> and techniques to possibly aid and improve the utilization audit process
> further.  That would be a win-win all around I think... I and others would
> see fewer spammers on the net and the entire ARIN community might benefit
> from having more accurate utilization audits.  But in case it isn't obvious,
> I and other such wlling souls cannot possibly offer any improved technology
> which might be mixed in to improve the existing audit process if we... and
> everyone else on the planet... are all kept utterly in the dark about whatever
> ARIN currently is or isn't doing with respect to the conduct of these audits.

Ron -

  ARIN would be happy to study and learn from any/all of your tools and
  techniques in this area, and would be happy to receive any information
  that you'd like to send in this area.  I'll note that some techniques
  in use by the anti-spam community may not meet the fairness and process
  requirements that ARIN operates under, and I recognize that this may be
  annoying to you, but reflects the reality of our legal system.

  If you'd prefer to supply information on your tools and techniques under
  NDA, please send that to my attention or let me know and I'll send ARIN's
  NDA out for your review.

Best,
/John

John Curran