[arin-ppml] Audits

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Nov 4 23:23:16 EDT 2010

On 04 Nov 2010 08:58, John Curran wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> I haven't asked about the future.  I want to know what you are doing right now, today, in the way of reviewing utilization of existing allocations.  (And if the answer is "nothing", then don't be bashful... just say "nothing".  Nobody will begrudge you for the truth.)
> Reviewing utilization of existing resources doesn't generally occur unless you're apply for additional resources, and hence may not be relevant to the vast majority of legacy resource holders.

IMHO, that is unfortunate.  My intent (I can't speak for Owen's) behind
2007-14 was that ARIN would actively seek out unused/abandoned resources
for reclamation.  The policy did not _force_ ARIN to do so because I
believed you would proceed as quickly as ARIN's staffing and finances
allowed.  It appears I was wrong, and I'll look at submitting a proposal
to "correct" this problem in the next cycle; hopefully it won't be too
late to matter.

POC invalidation should be an input (one of many) into the selection of
targets for an active review program, not merely something that is just
marked in the database and promptly forgotten.  If an org doesn't
respond to validation requests, odds are they won't respond to review
requests either and reclamation will be nearly automatic (after an
appropriate time-out period, of course).