[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 4 09:07:32 EDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <9E11B785-FFA2-4C62-824B-23B5F6071673 at arin.net>,
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>> I have been waiting weeks now for John Curran to answer my simple question:
>>> i.e. What does, and what does not constitute "utilization fraud", and
>>> although I see that he's found time to participate here, he apparently
>>> hasn't found time to answer that question, the answer to which would help
>>> me to spot even MORE utilization fraud than I am already aware of.
>>
>> Good morning Ron -
>>
>> {... big buch of non-responsive platitudes snipped... }
>
> I am _still_ waiting for John Curran to answer the simple question.
>
> Look John, this is very simple.... I have read comments about various
> entities undergoing a "utilization audit".
>
> Do such things exist?  Does ARIN perform any such?

Yes... See section 12 of the NRPM.

and Yes. See staff comments regarding draft policy 2010-11 at ARIN XXVI.

> (Those are both simple yes/no questions, by the way.)
>
> If such things DO NOT exist and/or if ARIN DOES NOT perform any such, then
> why have I read several people commenting about such audits and/or fretting
> aloud that they may have to undergo one?

N/A...

> Conversely, if such things DO exist and if ARIN DOES perform any such,
> then please do stop beating about the bush and just describe how that is
> done.

Why? There are very good reasons for ARIN not to publicly disclose the
techniques and methods they use for conducting these audits. The details
of any particular audit cannot be public because of non-disclosure issues
and privacy issues related to the resource holder. This is completely
legitimate.

> I'm not asking either you or ``the community'' to invent anything new or
> to consider anything new or to ratify anything new.  My question is about
> current existing practice at ARIN.

To the extent valid and possible, your question has been answered, even
if you didn't like the answer.

> If ARIN, at present, DOES NOT do any utilization audits or reviews, then
> please have the coutesy to just say that.
>
> Conversely, if ARIN, at present, DOES perform utilization audits or reviews,
> then please just describe, briefly, how an organization either passes or fails
> such a thing.

If the organization holds resources and has utilization of those resources that
is compliant with the policies set forth in the NRPM, then, they pass. If they are
not in compliance with the policies in the NRPM, then, they do not pass and
ARIN will work with them to resolve the issue as described in NRPM 12.

> But whatever you do, please have the courtesy not to treat me to another
> long winded digression on how ``the community'' must evolve approaches to
> this, that, or the other.  I haven't asked about the future.  I want to
> know what you are doing right now, today, in the way of reviewing utilization
> of existing allocations.  (And if the answer is "nothing", then don't be
> bashful... just say "nothing".  Nobody will begrudge you for the truth.)

What is happening right now has been explained and is documented
in the NRPM. I'm not sure what else you expect John to tell you.

Owen