[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 4 08:52:12 EDT 2010

>> However, if you're faced with a post-runout network deployment, the
>> question
>> isn't so much one of whether the world has gone IPv6 yet or not as it is
>> one
>> of whether it makes sense to take heroic measures to add your network to
>> the
>> IPv4 network living on life support at best, or, add it to a growing and
>> vibrant
>> IPv6 internet.
>
> "Growing and vibrant IPv6 internet" ??
>
> Have you ever considered a career in marketing?
> (1/2 :-)

No, but, I have access to a pretty good perspective on IPv6 traffic and
domain statistics. The IPv6 internet is already passing more traffic than
the IPv4 internet of only 8 years ago. When you consider the number of
years it took IPv4 to get to that point, I'd say IPv6 is catching up fast.

>> Finally, if you think it's going to take 12 months for the IPv4
>> spaghetti to make
>> contact with the whirling blades, you aren't paying attention. I think
>> it will
>> be somewhat sooner.
>
> I said "within 12 months".
>
> I was being generous.

Now is not the time to be generous in such estimates.

Owen