[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Nov 4 08:26:33 EDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> For my part, I am likewise surprised at the degree of outright unmitigated
> FRAUD that is occuring in the ARIN region, *and* I'm also quite surprised
> at ARIN's apparent total disinterest in the vast gobs of IPv4 space being
> wasted on account of all that.
>
> I have been waiting weeks now for John Curran to answer my simple question:
> i.e. What does, and what does not constitute "utilization fraud", and
> although I see that he's found time to participate here, he apparently
> hasn't found time to answer that question, the answer to which would help
> me to spot even MORE utilization fraud than I am already aware of.

Good morning Ron -

As already noted (as the top of fraud reporting page: https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html), we can respond to Number Resource Fraud which includes "the submission of falsified utilization or organization information, unauthorized changes to data in ARIN's WHOIS, hijacking of number resources in ARIN's database, or fraudulent transfers."

You've already successfully made use of this process, and we've removing thirteen resource registrations and are working through the M&A transfer process with holders of several of the remaining blocks to insure that they actually valid.  This is not a quick process, but we do take registry integrity as a priority.

Recognize the challenge in that this region has thousands of registration records which were already quite "aged" when ARIN was founded, and we maintained the existing passive registry practices which did not specify contacting all allocation holders periodically to update records, nor were there even clear policies for obsolete information removal.
Now, the ARIN community can develop policies to address this (and POC Validation certainly is an excellent first step) but we need to recognize that we're only now as a community beginning to address this situation, and it's simply going to take time.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO