[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Nov 4 06:49:23 EDT 2010

In message <9AAAB680-023B-445D-8BE2-F70780D34D7E at i2bnetworks.com>,
Jim Fitzgerald <jim at i2bnetworks.com> wrote:

>The blocks were reported to ARIN and we await further guidance as to what to d
>o with them.  Meanwhile the blocks are unused & un-routed on our network but w
>e're not sure what to do with them otherwise.  We may eventually put them to w
>ork for test hosts or other non-critical work while we await some resolution o
>r guidance from ARIN or in the absence of any guidance.  We're just surprised
>that with the IPv4 shortage and so much noise about efficient utilization that
> nobody would want these...

For my part, I am likewise surprised at the degree of outright unmitigated
FRAUD that is occuring in the ARIN region, *and* I'm also quite surprised
at ARIN's apparent total disinterest in the vast gobs of IPv4 space being
wasted on account of all that.

I have been waiting weeks now for John Curran to answer my simple question:
i.e. What does, and what does not constitute "utilization fraud", and
although I see that he's found time to participate here, he apparently
hasn't found time to answer that question, the answer to which would help
me to spot even MORE utilization fraud than I am already aware of.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  For some examples of utilization fraud see the allocations for
the various non-existant pseudo-entities that currently hold:

65.175.0.0/24
65.175.12.0/25
65.175.17.0/24
65.175.25.0/24
65.175.33.0/24
65.175.28.0/24
65.175.29.0/24

66.7.128.0/28
66.17.238.0/24
66.17.248.0/24
66.17.202.0/24
66.17.156.0/24
66.17.234.0/24
66.17.235.0/24
66.17.169.0/24
66.17.170.0/24
66.17.171.0/24

66.54.206.0/24
66.54.207.0/24
66.54.224.0/24

...as well as any & all of the IP blocks currently routed by the (defunct?)
snowshoe spam front company "RockSolid Network, Inc.", aka AS33475 (which
ads up to a considerable amount of space, BTW).

P.P.S. I agree with the prior poster who asserted that IPv4 may yet have a
lot of life left in it... well... it *would* have an almost infinite life
left in it if it were not for (a) various hardware vendors who have a clear
agenda to create an "upgrade cycle" (whether one is actually needed or not)
and if it were not for (b) IPv4 being bled dry by (1) snowshoe spammers and
(2) people who refuse to learn how to use NAT and (3) people who refuse to
learn how to properly configure web servers and mail servers and name servers
so that they will support multiple domains.