[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 3 17:36:22 EDT 2010

Jim
This is a perfect example of how the absence of market incentives results in wasteful use of resources. Encourage and facilitate market transfers - especially in the legacy space - and it places an economic premium on the discovery and accurate identification of the chain of custody over legacy resources. If that happens, you will be amazed at how quickly and effectively the records will be cleared up and acted upon. If ARIN positions itself as a neutral and accurate registry of title it will benefit from that process, because people will look to it as the authoritative source of information.

OTOH asking ARIN to "pressure" people over whom it has zero contractual authority, for no purpose other than to preserve a kind of monopoly over the transfer process, will encourage bypass of ARIN.

--MM