[arin-ppml] Reclaiming unused IPv4 space (WAS: Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised))

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Nov 3 15:57:00 EDT 2010

On 11/3/2010 12:17 PM, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> On 11/3/10 1:32 PM, "Ted Mittelstaedt"<tedm at ipinc.net>  wrote:

>>> I guess I'm wondering if there is a problem to solve? I thought that this
>>> came up at a recent policy meeting; it "looks" like we aren't doing
>>> anything, but in fact we are
>>
>> I will call BS on that.  Maybe for some stuff but there's a lot of work
>> that still needs to be done.
>>
>>> and that statistics would be posted to
>>> demonstrate e.g. we have stats on fraud reporting and they clearly
>>> demonstrate what some think is fraud really isn't.
>>>
>>> Any way we can demonstrate if there really is a problem before writing a
>>> proposal that is likely to be very difficult to reach consensus?
>>>

>> Yes, Martin.
>>
>> I have posted SEVERAL TIMES to this list the following data:
>>
>> Back in 1999 we had a customer with a legacy /24, Leatherman Tools.
>> The block is NET-199-248-255-0-1 you can look it up in WHOIS.
>

> What's the ROI on recovering that, Ted? Marketing?

With translation you can put a company the size of Microsoft's Redmond
campus behind that /24.  So, you tell me.  What happens when there
are no more /24's and that is the only potential out there?

> There are clearly easy pickings. In the end, those easy pickings are going
> to come back into inventory without a huge amount of effort on our part.
>
> There are certainly bigger fish to fry and sometimes subtlety works better
> than the stick. I believe that as a community we've come to consensus on the
> former. The latter will be most difficult to achieve.

Sooner or later the big fish will be all fried.  Then you fry the
smaller fish.  I have already said I did not think the community was
ready to get more aggressive.  But unless everyone turns their back
on IPv4 in the next few years, the community will get more aggressive
and they will be frying smaller fish.  Then, the latter will be much
easier to achieve.

Ted