[arin-ppml] Encouraging public participation in the PDP

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri May 28 12:15:31 EDT 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I also think an external review might turn up factors that internal
> folks have never considered.  For instance members of the public
> have brought up previously how ARIN policy may or may not conflict
> with the Virginia Non-Stock Corporation laws.  When that came up
> most of the people I talked to, including other AC members at the
> time had the reaction of "the what?"  I don't think the Board nor
> the AC were experts in the matter.

Leo - The Board relies on very competent counsel for this purpose;
compliance with relevant laws shall always remain a speciality that
the Board will seek outside counsel on.

> While public comment and participation is vital, I don't think the
> fact that the committee is requesting public input will make experts
> in this area magically appear and comment.

Could you be more specific regarding the phrase "experts in this area"?
If you are referring to open public deliberative process development, I
believe that the expertise and depth of experience on the current Board
is remarkably strong.  Please suggest a process by which we should bring
additional expertise into this process, and I will bring that to the
Board for consideration for future PDP changes.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN