[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Tue May 25 23:12:47 EDT 2010

> From: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:53:21 -0400
> To: "Sweeting, John" <john.sweeting at twcable.com>
> Cc: "arin-ppml at arin.net" <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010
>
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Sweeting, John
> <john.sweeting at twcable.com> wrote:
>> "The ARIN Advisory Council hereby resolves that any
>> final action on draft Internet Number Resource Policy
>> shall be made by the affirmative vote of the majority
>> of the members of the full Advisory Council."
>
> John,
>
> Because this rule as written obstructs AC members from abstaining due
> to conflicts of interest it probably violates ARIN's ethical standards
> and may violate Virginia law. You should consult counsel.

I doesn't read like that to me. There is no explicit bar from abstaining (at
least that I can read anywhere so please elaborate if there is) and if an AC
member feels like they have to vote "just because" or because the entire
room is whining at them for abstaining and causing a "non-action" then they
probably don't belong on the AC to begin with.

.
I do think that the majority rule vs. present majority is a bar that may be
too high. I'd like to hear more about that instead.

Best,

-M<