[arin-ppml] /20 initial allocation for single-homed server?

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon May 24 03:05:04 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
> On 5/21/10 6:18 AM, Randy McAnally wrote:
[snip]
> What in the world did he put in his justification request to get a /20
> for a single server? And exactly why would ARIN approve a /20 for a
> single device?

Well, it would just be speculation.    But I would hope it would be
based on meeting policy and utilization criterion with existing
allocations, and showing the immediate need required by policy for the
additional allocations.

Number of pieces of metal is irrelevent.    If there is a technical
requirement for each customer to have multiple IPs,  and he can make a
justified need case based on number of customers, then the allocation
is with merit.

However I found this statement disconcerting: "The new problem is
finding a network that will allow outside ips to come into their
network for a dedicated server I would be renting from them. "

If he fails to find  ISPs who will route the IPs to a dedicated server
for him, at a price he deems acceptable, will he be returning the IPs
to ARIN? Will the IPs  be stagnant for years   if  he can't find a
provider willing to do what he wants?

I would suggest that ARIN  not  consider new applications ,   until
(for an ISP) an AS number has been obtained,   or for an end user,
they can provide an ISP "peer" or  "hosting provider" reference to
ARIN,  the ISP, hoster, or peer can endorse their application,  and
verify they will provide  connectivity for   address space being
allocated.

Perhaps ARIN could  also require the hoster/ISP sign a statement that
they have seen, reviewed their customer's ARIN application,  their
customer network design/services,  the application is accurate to the
best of their knowledge,    they will  make information about any
changes or data that could indicate deviation from the application
available to ARIN upon request.

Of course it doesn't make fraud impossible.    But it gets more people
asking questions  when an end-user wants a /20,     and they have to
actually already have plans for the  /20  far enough that they've
_found a provider_  to provide them connectivity using those addresses

--
-J