[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 26 20:15:20 EDT 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Gary T. Giesen wrote:
>> If that's a concern, then get GUA space out of the gate and you'll never
>> renumber again. I believe GUA should be made cheap and relatively easy
>> to get (instead of something using something like ULA and NATing it).
>
> Right, and so this argues for ARIN to make it easy *and cheap* for a newly-formed single-homed company with a half-dozen employees and a few servers to get globally-unique *and* routable IPv6 address space.

Agreed, but, by some definitions of the terms, it already is cheap.

$100/year really isn't that expensive for however much IPv6 address space you need.

Yes, I would like to see the $1250 up-front fee lowered.  I have advocated for that for some time now. Still, even for a half-dozen employees and a few servers, as a one-time startup cost, that's not one of the big ones.

I'm all for ARIN having policy that makes it easy for you to get a /48 at that level, but, I doubt very many ISPs would want to accept your prefix into their routing table at that level until we have deprecated IPv4 to the point of meaningful table size reduction.  That's not an ARIN policy issue, however, just a reality you may still need to face even if we get the ARIN policy issues resolved in this area.

Owen