[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Mar 26 19:30:19 EDT 2010

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Gary T. Giesen wrote:
>> If that's a concern, then get GUA space out of the gate and you'll never
>> renumber again. I believe GUA should be made cheap and relatively easy
>> to get (instead of something using something like ULA and NATing it).
>
> Right, and so this argues for ARIN to make it easy *and cheap* for a
> newly-formed single-homed company with a half-dozen employees and a few
> servers to get globally-unique *and* routable IPv6 address space.

ARIN doesn't set routing policy, get over it, just because ARIN gives
out an address doesn't mean it will get a routing slot.  And if that 6
person company, is generating $6M in revenue it can afford to buy its
routing slot.  If it is generating $6K, probably not.  Why should ARIN
be that judge?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952