[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:48:35 EDT 2010

Roger Marquis wrote:

> Thanks for the clarifications Kevin.  Most of us have read the details on
> this list before.  Whether you call it a vote or a rough consensus the
> real issue is whether the process is capable of enabling a smooth
> transition to IPv6.  Experience indicates that it is not.

I think you are pointing out the crux of the real problem there is only
a very rough consensus about a transition to IPv6 and how it should
proceed. (Emphasizing alternate definitions of the word "rough" than the
phrase is usually intended to convey; approximate: not quite exact; as
would be the usual, but rather; having or caused by an irregular
surface; rocky: full of hardship or trials; grating: unpleasantly harsh
or grating in sound)

Furthermore, I don't believe we will be able to achieve a more
harmonious consensus of the community by IPv4 run-out, let alone by IANA
run-out which will likely happen late this year or in early 2011.

> My concern, looking ahead, is what will occur when ARIN's decision making
> process fails this test and financial interests begin exploiting the
> artificial address shortage.  It seems likely that the DOC, judiciaries,
> and/or legislatures will pick-up the ball.  When that happens it is
> likely that ARIN's structure will change as well.

You are right to be concerned about this, a number of people in the
community are also concerned too.  But that doesn't mean we agree with
your prescription for the problem, or that most of us even agree on a
prescription for the problem.

> Whether you see this as inevitable or not, as a good thing or not, it
> would be prudent to start planning for it now.  You can bet those with a
> financial interest in the process are.

This is a hard multidimensional problem, with many economic, technical,
  and political factors.  If there were easy answerers, we would have
implemented them as a community already.  I believe the important thing
is for ARIN to stay true to its mission statement.

"Applying the principles of stewardship, ARIN, a nonprofit corporation,
allocates Internet Protocol resources; develops consensus-based
policies; and facilitates the advancement of the Internet through
information and educational outreach."

It is possible that the courts and/or governments may step in,
regardless of what we do.  But, if ARIN deviates from it core principles
in a time of crisis, that will give the courts and governments a real
reason to step in.

So, I believe we need vigorous but polite debate, with a lot of
listening, along with a little bit of artful compromise that is usually
necessary to develop a true consensus.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952