[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 118: IPv6 Subsequent Allocation

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Mon Jun 21 19:35:02 EDT 2010

On 2010.06.21 09:43, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> The 6rd prefix is an RIR delegated IPv6 prefix.  It must encapsulate
> an
>> IPv4 address and must be short enough so that a /56 or /60 can be
> given
>> to subscribers.
>
> I'd rather see this kind of policy restricted to only 6RD unless someone
> can come up with a descriptive term that includes 6RD and similar
> IPv4 address mapping transition technologies so that the policy isn't
> wide open to any and all crazy schemes that someone dreams up.

I've battled with this comment all day.

After having time to think about it, I prefer the generalized approach.

Perhaps I'm naive, but this is IPv6, not IPv4. I'm thinking that if
anyone wants to increase ARIN's revenue by *wanting* another same-sized
block for *any* transition mechanism, they should be allowed to do so.

The three year limit should still stand as we are talking transition and
not permanent, so let trickery and scheming happen...who knows what new
ideas might come out of it, all the while benefiting ARIN financially.

Steve