[arin-ppml] How bad is it really?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 12 20:36:32 EDT 2010

On 7/12/2010 3:02 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that Section 3.6.1 requires ARIN to publish a list of
>> invalid POCS, so we should have in a year or two a list of subnets
>> that are "ripe for mining" as they say.
>
> Ted is right on target here, and we're proceeding with POC
> validation at an aggressive rate.  (For more information, see
> <https://www.arin.net/resources/services/poc_validation.html>)
>
> We're presently sending out 7500 validation requests each week,
> and getting just over a 33% update rate on those requests. It's
> too early to draw conclusions, but there's obviously ample space
> which presently lacks a responsive contact.  We'll provide a more
> detailed update on POC validation during the October PPML meeting.

I will chime in here and caution that only the POCs that are applied to
entire allocated blocks are going to affect the supply of "reclaimable"
IPv4.  I would guess the majority of invalid POCs were created from
old SWIPS that were filed and just forgotten about.  While it's
good to mark these as invalid so that it does not waste the
community's time when attempting to solve spamming/network attack/
routing problems, as well as inform the parent ISP that the subnet
which is part of their block needs correction, the interesting
part is going to be when ARIN runs across a legacy block that
is simply unused, not advertised, with a defunct org on it.

Of course the REAL interesting part will be if ARIN runs across
a large unused block that is not being advertised, is not being used
internally, yet the org is still -paying-the-yearly-renewal for it and
doesn't even know that they don't need to do that anymore.

Ted