[arin-ppml] How bad is it really?

Dave Feuer dave at connetrix.com
Mon Jul 12 13:49:11 EDT 2010

While cleaning up some old DNS records (again) I took a look at some of our
old address space. 2  x /23s from 2 providers. I did a quick whois and both
are still pointing to us. One we have not used since early 2001 the other
since late 2004. I did some tests and one of them still routes to the last
hop before it hit us.

Then I took a look at the records for a client with a /22 that we managed
the DNS for. I don't know how long he has not had the IP space but it's been
at least 3 years and more likely closer to or over 4 years. Still pointing
to him (and his company no longer even exists) and still routing to the last
hop before him.

How much space is out there and routed and going no place? Is there any way
to find out? It's more of a question to satisfy my curiosity but I think it
would be interesting to know.

-Dave