[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Jan 29 20:52:07 EST 2010

On
> Behalf Of Aaron Wendel
> Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:29 PM
> To: 'Ted Mittelstaedt'
> Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:
> CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

> My proposal is about
> obscuring the
> address, phone number and e-mail of a collocated or hosted customer to
> prevent poaching by competition.  I can use the rational that it
> protects
> the ISPs customer list and I could also use the "it protects customer
> privacy" argument that obviously won 2004-7.

Well, so I am a competitor combing through whois.  I see
some-odd-site.com is your customer but there is no address and phone
number.  So I either go to their contact page on their website or use
directory assistance to look them up, and ask the person answering the
phone to speak to the person in charge of their internet operations.  So
how are they or you "protected" by such a rule and how does it prevent
someone from cold calling your customers.

Companies advertize and try to make it the opposite of difficult to
contact them.