[arin-ppml] RIPE/ITU

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 26 20:38:30 EST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]
Hey, I know... How about competing national laws in the same country... Each citizen gets to choose which congress and which senate and which...

Oh, wait, that's pretty dumb and I'm willing to bet most governments are unwilling to give up their monopolies on the creation of national laws.

The difference between ITU CIRs vs. APNIC NIRs is that APNIC NIRs still participate in the APNIC policy process and are still subject to APNIC policies.

I have no problem with the ITU having CIRs, so long as those CIRs are subjugate to and agree to abide by the RIR policies set by the community
process in their respective regions.  Absent that, CIRs vs. LIRs seem like a really good way to subvert the public policy process currently in place
and replace it with a land-rush amongst the various countries to try and grab as much IPv6 space as they can.

Under the current RIR model, I have trouble imagining a scenario where any developing nation has difficulty getting the address space they need.
Under likely ITU models, this may or may not be the same.

Under the current RIR model, I have trouble imagining a scenario where any developed nation has difficulty getting the address space they need.
Under likely ITU models, I can foresee significant issues in this area.

Owen