[arin-ppml] IPv6 Multihomed networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 23 16:52:35 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
> For those that feel that ARIN can never keep unconnected networks from
> being routed globally, I wonder if you'd take the time to read the SIDR
> work from IETF.
>
> Consider what would happen if ARIN were to issue non-connected network
> space, and bind it's use to a specific (dummy) ASN.  Once secure, the
> public ("Internet") BGP system would never accept an announcement from
> anyone attempting to announce that prefix from another ASN.

Hi Michael,

That could work, in this particular case if not the more general case.
It's a bit of a hack.

Do you have a decent overview document for SIDR? Perusing the drafts,
I couldn't make heads or tails of how authority delegation for who
signs the ROA is supposed to work.

I think I'd also like to see SIDR deployed before writing ARIN policy
against it. I think it's worth discussing the kinds of policy
structures SIDR could enable but I don't think it has developed quite
to the point where we should hold our breaths and wait for it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004