[arin-ppml] Policy for connected vs. non-connected networks

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Feb 22 20:51:14 EST 2010

On 2010.02.22 16:29, Owen DeLong wrote:
> In the discussion of non-connected networks and the perceived need for a separate
> policy to support them instead of just assigning numbers to meet uniqueness requirements
> and taking ARIN out of the routing policy issue, it occurred to me that the following may not
> be well understood by some of the people discussing this issue.
>

> There are two semi-independent, but, interlinked finite resource pools.
>
> Pool 1: IP Addresses -- easy.
>
> Pool 2: DFZ Routing Table Slots -- complex.
>
> ARIN is responsible for administering Pool 1 in accordance with policies set by the community.
>
> ARIN is not and, IMHO, should not be responsible for managing pool 2. This should be left
> to the people and organizations who actually run routers. It is possible for a company to
> reject prefixes that are assigned by ARIN and still survive in business. Verizon is currently
> rejecting ARIN assigned /48s as an example.
>
> I believe that the ideal policy from an administration of unique numbers perspective would be
> such that connected and non-connected networks can get the unique numbers they need
> through a reasonable justification process. I do not believe that the community significantly
> benefits from disparate policies for assignments of numbers to these two classes of use,
> nor do I believe that membership in one of these classes is immutable. Connected networks
> sometimes disconnect and disconnected networks sometimes connect.
>
> Further, I believe that if we have a liberalized policy for acquisition of unique numbers
> based on a claim that said numbers will not be connected, such numbers will end up
> being abused for connected purposes in order to avoid the less liberal policies.

If this is the case, then I propose that all (currently available global
unique) IP(v6) space be merged into one, and that all current and
proposed policies that deal with 'non-connected' or otherwise 'private'
IP space be abolished, and no distinction shall be made between the two.

One policy for all, no matter what.

Steve