[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Feb 22 17:14:24 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between networks (numbers is IPv4 think)
> that may be routed next year and networks that may be routed
> next week?

Hi Kevin,

The difference is the "needs basis." If I'm turning up a multihomed
network next week, I need a block of routable IP addresses. If I might
do so next year then I don't need those addresses yet and may never
need them.

My thoughts on the value of needs-based addressing in IPv6 are on
record, but until we choose to replace it with a smarter design, we
should continue doing a responsible job of evaluating need during the
assignment process. The routing system's cost and stability depends on
it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004