[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Feb 7 20:23:52 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

>    George> Would seem to me like a better idea than using globally
>    George> unique space for unconnected networks. It would require
>    George> renumbering if you went connected, though.  So does it boil
>
> No renumbering required.  That's IPv4 think.
>
> In IPv6 is common and routine to have multiple addresses per interface.
> If you connect, then you get PA address space from your ISP (de jour).

Michael,

Unfortunately, that's not true in any practical sense of the word.
Multiply-connected hosts was a goal in IPv6's design but it's only
partially implemented in deployed IPv6. The full suite of capabilities
necessary for it to work in a manner that justifies a comment along
the lines of "renumbering is IPv4-think" don't yet exist.

The IETF has at least two working groups in the early phases of trying
to make IPv6's multi-addressing promise come true: MultipathTCP and
MIF. The Multiple InterFaces WG is the most directly involved in the
issue and unfortunately the closest to square-one. There's also some
routing work needed to enable multi-addressed hosts in nontrivial
networks but that has not yet begun. When it does, look for it to
appear in working groups like GROW and RRG.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004