[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 109: Standardize IP ReassignmentRegistration Requirements

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Feb 6 02:10:52 EST 2010

Chris Grundemann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 06:12,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>>> Policy Proposal 109: Standardize IP Reassignment Registration
>>> Requirements
>> Huh!?
>>
>>>   - Add:
>>>   - Rename 4.2.3.7. "Reassignment information" to "Registration"
>>>
>>>   - Rename 4.2.3.7.1. "Customer organization information" to
>>> "Reassignment Information" and replace text with:
>>>   - Replace 4.2.3.7.6. Residential Customer Privacy with:
>>>   - Strike section 4.2.6. "Cable Address Space Policy"
>>>   - Replace Section 6.5.5. with:
>> I'm still not sure what this policy proposal is trying to do
>> or what is being changed. Clearly, the only way to figure
>> this out is to compare the existing copious verbiage in the NRPM
>> with the copious verbiage in this policy and I haven't time
>> to do this right now.
>
> Yes, reading the NRPM may be a prerequisite to understanding proposed
> changes to it.
>
>> I am opposed to this proposal on the grounds of its complexity
>> and the lack of clarity around what, if any, kind of problem
>> it attempts to solve.

I was going to remain neutral on this policy proposal.  on one
hand I like standardized disclosure.  On the other hand I do not
like removing the onus to register anyone, even a residential
user, in WHOIS.

However after seeing Dillon's comment I am going to come out
SOLIDLY IN FAVOR of this policy proposal if for no other reason
than to counteract his no vote.

In the future perhaps it might occur to certain people that if they
don't have time to read and understand certain policy proposal changes
that they lack the knowledge to make good policy decisions on them, and
should just say nothing and let the folks who do understand a
particular proposal to comment on it.

Ted