[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 5 13:38:20 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:
>> My point was that I'd really like to see us stop suffering failures of
>> imagination in the name of careful reason. ARIN has to be the
>> moderating force on the routing table only because we've failed to
>> imagine a individually driven process that renders the role
>> unnecessary.
>
> And my point was that the size of the routing table is only an issue
> because of hardware vendors lack of resources in their gear.  Having
> more resources available eliminates the entire issue.

Well sure. But are you familiar with how the hardware works in the
high-end routers? The stuff is seriously expensive to build,
especially in the relatively low quantities that populate the core of
the DFZ.

> A disruptive
> player in the hardware market that introduces a router that can handle
> two or four or eight times the number of concurrent flows and routes as
> current gear would moot the point.

The current kit deals with packets rather than flows. Flows was
investigated thoroughly and looks very much like a blind alley. It has
some useful niches but the failure modes are catastrophic.

Granted someone could stumble on a brilliant insight tomorrow,
especially if under pressure to innovate,. But understand that you're
talking about a scientific advance, not a technological advance.
Technology can be predictably built from the existing science at
demand. Scientific advances are unpredictable; they happen almost at
random. If you're a betting man, don't bet on the timely discovery of
science that doesn't yet exist and right now the science of routing is
Tries or TCAMs.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004