[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 56, Issue 18

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:45:42 EST 2010

My take on this is not whether there is whois info or not. whois info is a
must have. And accurate whois information is important to ARIN.

The system we create for collecting that info is in question as is ...what
info. is available to whom. Where a reallocation has an isp (for eg) as a
contact because the isp agrees to be, my thinking is that ARIN needs to have
all the info. on the reallocation and in many cases, the information
available to the public is not as detailed as the info. which is available
to ARIN.
We also need to decide on the level of accuracy required for ARIN records
and that ultimately  determines what we put in place. I think I'm getting
the view that the current whois database is a little way off the required
standard?? And there would seem to be much use of the or maybe abuse of the
current system as suggested by the 2006 audit.
RD

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:06:33 +0300
> From: McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com>
> To: Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com>
> Cc: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > +1
> >
> > whois must contain valid contact information for the person/entity
> > directly responsible for the host(s) using a given IP. I oppose this
> > and any other policy which undermines this fundamental requirement.
>
> +1
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:16:41 -0800
> From: "George Bonser" <gbonser at seven.com>
> To: "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us>,  <ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality
>
> > Perhaps a *fair* solution is that ISPs who would rather suffer
> > penetrating annual audits purchased by ARIN at the ISP's expense can
> > forgo publishing customer information via SWIP while those who place
> > their information in the public's hands remain relieved of that
> > burden.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bill Herrin
>
> For me the judgment call seems fairly simple.
>
> >From the standpoint of someone who isn't a commercial ISP
>
> what benefit does this proposal offer me?
> What is the value of that benefit?
>
> What is the benefit to the community at large of the proposal?
> What is the value of that benefit?
>
> What is the cost to the community of the proposal?
>
> What is the cost to me of the proposal?
>

> And then the question of whether to support it or not is weighed.  I
> keep coming up with little/no benefit, high cost.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:54:03 -0600
> From: James Hess <mysidia at gmail.com>
> To: Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
> Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal
>        95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 2/2/2010 7:00 PM, George Bonser wrote:
> > If I, as a colo provider, didn't SWIP customers like this their entire
> /29,
> > I may not be able to meet 80% utilization thresholds. ?For purposes of
> > calculating utilization, however, the /29 is considered 100% utilized as
>
> It's possible to  keep record of utilization using  the form in sec.
> 4.2.3.7.5  of the NRPM  without SWIPing    -- where a full /29 block
> is not re-assigned.

> [...]

Rudi Daniel
e Business Consultant
http://www.svgpso.org
http://oecstimes.wordpress.com
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand
Russell