[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:28:00 EST 2010

On 2/2/2010 7:00 PM, George Bonser wrote:
>> So, it is possible for a single colocated server to consume a /29.
>> Not everyone does it that way, of course.
>>
>>         Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
>>

> It is possible for a PROVIDER to consume a /29 in providing a single
> server.  The end user isn't issued a /29 for addressing their machines.
> The end user in this case is issued a single IP address.

The end user may not use more than a single address in that case, but
they will be assigned the entire /29, and it should be SWIP'd to them
(or entered in rwhois).  If they add a second server in the same VLAN,
it will be added to that /29, but the assignment will not change.

If I, as a colo provider, didn't SWIP customers like this their entire
/29, I may not be able to meet 80% utilization thresholds.  For purposes
of calculating utilization, however, the /29 is considered 100% utilized
as long as it was properly justified, could not be met with a smaller
subnet, and is properly SWIP'd (or rwhois'd).

-Scott