[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Feb 2 16:29:03 EST 2010

In a message written on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:52:04PM -0700, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> Agreed again - I think whois is in pretty sorry shape at the moment
> (for more than one reason); but should we respond by throwing our
> hands up and codifying bad behavior - or by addressing the problem?

While we clearly disagree on the desired outcome, it appears we
both agree that the current situation is absurd.

I have consistenly supported proposals to remove this information
from whois, and I have also written and spent several years propmoting
my own policy in this space (2005-2) which was subsequently abandoned.

I have yet to see anyone on the other side of this issue propose
any method of "addressing the problem" from the other side, that
is tightening requirements such that someone is required to be
listed.

Please understand this is why I find such positions hypocritical.
While I would disgree with tightening requirements, I would respect
those making the argument that such requirments were "fundamental"
if they were pushing policy initatives to make that actually be the
case.  Using such forceful language to oppose policy when it is
known not to represent the status quo and also when not working to
change the status quo leaves the impression that the convictions
on that point are weak, or nonexistant.

I think ARIN just has the whois thing plain wrong.  Allocations and
assignments made from ARIN should have regularized information
published on them by ARIN.  Everything below that should be optional,
as decided by the ISP and the customer.  More to the point, it
should be more open than the current system, a-la what RIPE does.
If the customer and the ISP want to put a 20 page missive in whois
listing every employee with phone, e-mail, cell, facebook page, and
favorite color, great!  If they want to not be listed, and have
their ISP take calls, great!