[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Tue Feb 2 15:34:24 EST 2010

Kevin Kargel wrote:

"Personally I would like to see wording to the effect that:
The contact information for the customer MUST be entered UNLESS directed by the customer to enter the information for a designated agent as *PoC"

The wording I would like to see would probably be something along the lines of -

In cases of an assignment of less then /24 (or IPv6 Equivalent), contact information for a CONSENTING agent MAY be substituted for the assignee if mutually agreed upon by both service provider and assignee. Party responsible for entering SWIP/WHOIS data must confirm said agents consent to be listed and that contact information is accurate at time of submission. Listed party is responsible for notifying service provider of any changes in consent or contact information. In the event that no mutually agreement can be reached or consent or contact information cannot be verified or the assignment is of /24 or greater contact information of the assignee MUST be used.

That should cover Bills public interest usage case of an ISP trying to park a significant assignment on some small end user. It should also insure that who-ever is designated as agent knows and agrees that they are an agent..... and it should give the ISP the option to say "No we really don't want to deal with all this hassle, if you want to use us...we are going to list you." In which case, a client who doesn't like it can say "Fine, we're going with an ISP who offers that service". It also spells out who's responsible for what if everything goes to pot. In other words, it gets ARIN out of the business of mandating decisions for people where parties can work something else out between themselves.... but still insures that there is SOME-ONE willing to take responsbility for being assocaited with the address.

Christopher Engel