[arin-ppml] Draft policy 2010-3

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:36:10 EST 2010

 "The customer's actual information must be provided to ARIN on request and
will be held in the strictest confidence."

The wording of 2010-3:  I think that the "on request" should be a mandatory
requirement. ARIN should not have to request it.

RD

> Draft Policy 2010-3
> Customer Confidentiality
>
> Draft Policy 2010-3 comes from the successful petition of "Policy
> Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality." The draft policy is being posted
> for adoption discussion on the PPML and at the Public Policy Meeting in
> Toronto in April. The text of this draft policy is under the control of
> the petitioner, Aaron Wendel, until the conclusion of the Public Policy
> Meeting.
>
> Draft Policy 2010-3 is below and can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2010_3.html
>
> You are encouraged to discuss Draft Policy 2010-3 on the PPML prior to
> the April Public Policy Meeting. Both the discussion on the list and
> at the meeting will be used by the ARIN Advisory Council to determine
> the community consensus for adopting this as policy.
>
> The ARIN Policy Development Process can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html
>
> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Member Services
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>

> ## * ##
>

> Draft Policy 2010-3
> Customer Confidentiality
>
> Version/Date: 2 February 2010
>
> Policy statement:
>
> ISPs may choose to enter the customer's name along with the ISP's
> address and phone number in reassignments and reallocations in lieu of
> the customer's address and phone number.  The customer's actual
> information must be provided to ARIN on request and will be held in the
> strictest confidence.
>
> Rationale:
>
> Version 2.0 clarifies the need for the customer name to remain in the
> SWIP and RWHOIS information.
>
> Customer contact lists are one of the most proprietary and confidential
> pieces of information in any business.  The requirements for ISPs to
> publish those lists via SWIP or RWHOIS runs contrary to good business
> practices and invites competitors and others to solicit both individuals
> and companies receiving reassignments and sub allocations from upstream
> providers.
>
> Timetable for implementation: immediate
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:18:34 -0500
> From: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
> To: Chris Engel <cengel at sponsordirect.com>
> Cc: "arin-ppml at arin.net" <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Chris Engel <cengel at sponsordirect.com>
> wrote:
> > Bill Herrin wrote:
> >> I have issues with Joe of the bot-infestation that
> >>his ISP is probably better geared to chase down
> >>but I also have issues with Joe the /14-holding
> >>florist that I want to discuss with Joe directly."
> >
> > That's great...but I'm not sure how exactly having
> [...]

Rudi Daniel
e Business Consultant
http://www.svgpso.org
http://oecstimes.wordpress.com
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand
Russell