[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 2 13:18:34 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Chris Engel <cengel at sponsordirect.com> wrote:
> Bill Herrin wrote:
>> I have issues with Joe of the bot-infestation that
>>his ISP is probably better geared to chase down
>>but I also have issues with Joe the /14-holding
>>florist that I want to discuss with Joe directly."
>
> That's great...but I'm not sure how exactly having
>Joe's contact info really helps you determine
>whether his /14 is justified?

Chris,

If Joe, allegedly assigned a /14 from his ISP, is a neighborhood
florist and he responds "What's the Internet?" then my audit is
basically done and it's time to report the ISP's fraud to ARIN.

If his reasons for the /14 are moderately plausible and I get the same
result with the other half-dozen suspicious looking assignments then
I'm basically done as well, though for the opposite reason.

The problem is: Joe's /14 assignment can't look suspicious or look any
other way if it's public listing is permissibly redacted to "ISP
Customer."

There are, of course, other values to an administrative contact. You
are, for example, not a common carrier. If your customer is hiding
behind your identity as an ISP, you could end up responsible for
accepting legal notice on his behalf. Is your legal department staffed
adequately to avoid missteps in that process that will get you sued by
the complainant, your customer or both?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004