[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Tue Feb 2 11:07:44 EST 2010

Michael Dillon wrote:

"I really do not understand why people do not support the basic and fundamental principle of only recording contact information in the whois directory for people who are READY, WILLING and ABLE to TAKE ACTION when contacted. "

Michael is absolutely correct in this. The idea that the business/end user contact listed will be some-one who is ready/willing/able to take action on an issue 24/7/365 is simply a pipe dream.... it's not going to happen. Even for REAL Enterprises (i.e. not your mom & pop shops) only the very large ones are going to have a PUBLICALY listed  contact number that is manned round the clock. Very few have NOC coverage that is 24/7/365.

With my company....which is definately a real enterprise... you'll see our business contact info listed. If you hit those, you are NOT going to get a response outside of normal business hours. I'm not going to put my cell-phone/home-phone number on ANY of those public listings...nor would I ask any Tech that works for me to do the same.

Now, my Service Providers do have 24/7/365 NOC's and they DO have a contact list with our home/cell phone numbers. They even have an escalation list so they know who to try first, and who next if they can't get a response. They are the ones that are perfectly suited to act as Gatekeepers to determine whether a situation really warrants an emergency phone call or whether contact can wait for normal business hours.  So if it's 2:00 AM on Sunday morning and some-one is getting hit by a DoS attack from our Network...by jingo, they'll get ahold of one of us....but if it's an offer for Cheap Web Hosting in India (and yes we have gotten those that we KNOW, due to the address used, came in through WHOIS listings)...well that doesn't really need some-one to be woken out of bed to answer.

For most companies, it actualy makes alot more sense to be listing thier service providers contact info then thier own (if the service provider allows it).

Christopher Engel