[arin-ppml] Petition Underway -PolicyProposal95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Mon Feb 1 13:43:19 EST 2010

> So are you suggesting that we limit the '>' operator in the whois
> search when the customer is an ISP or greater?
>
> I am not saying whether that would be good or bad, just asking for
> clarification.

That might be a very reasonable answer.  I have no need to know who all
of a provider's netblocks downstream assignments belong to.  Knowing at
the very highest level what a provider's aggregate block assignment is
might be helpful in some cases when I am troubleshooting routing issues
(hmm, I seem to be having a routing loop whenever I am trying to
communicate with a user in zippy-super-clueful-isp's address space.) or
some such.

But yeah, removing that option would probably not impact my operations.
I can't recall when I have ever needed to use it for normal operations
for a provider net block.