[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:CustomerConfidentiality - Time Sensitive

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Feb 1 11:16:10 EST 2010

> SWIP isn't perfect. It isn't even particularly good. But as
> long as we're doing needs-based allocation, SWIP more or less
> gets the accountability job done.
>
> Show me an alternative whose structure has a history of
> success in other applications.

CSV files work fine here. Just dump all the assignment info right
down to the last /32 into a CSV file and attach it to an email to
the ARIN hostmaster. We've used this to justify several /15 or /16
allocations. The point is that ARIN evaluates your usage, not the
entries in its SWIP database, which may be less than accurate
due to the /29 rule among other things. A dump from the operational
database tends to be the most accurate.

SWIP has nothing to do with justifying a needs based allocation.
The public whois directory has nothing to do with any internal
ARIN activities.

--Michael Dillon