[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Mon Feb 1 01:30:53 EST 2010

Hey Bill,

This is my last post tonight. I'm on EST time and it's late. I have a
question on your last post. If it is all about public accountability,
then why do you think we draw the lines where we do? Why is a commercial
network behind a /30 less accountable than one with a /29? Why are
residential hosts less accountable then commercial hosts? I know they
are loaded questions, but it concerns me when we draw these lines in
policy. This also touches on Leo's posts about IPv6, in that I question
if swips are a viable means of accountability.

Have a good night.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: wherrin at gmail.com [mailto:wherrin at gmail.com] On Behalf Of William
Herrin
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 1:06 AM
To: Alexander, Daniel
Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:Customer
Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Who are we trying to contact with this directory and why? The primary
> reason for a swip record is for a contact in the event of an issue. My
> opinion is it should not need to be a contact of who's host is using
the
> IP. The contact should be one that can respond in a timely manner if
> there is an issue with the host. That could be the end user or the
> upstream ISP who made the assignment and is responsible for the
> allocation it was given. The focus should be on who has the ability to
> respond instead of the who it was assigned to.

Hi Dan,

Good to see you again.

Respectfully, the primary reason for SWIP is and has always been
public accountability. Emergency contact is a valuable benefit but
it's no more SWIP's purpose than hunting is the purpose of the second
amendment.

Find me a process of *public* accountability that beats SWIP and I'll
jump on the ditch-SWIP bandwagon.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bill Herrin