[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-2: /24 End User Minimum Assignment Unit - Correct Title

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Feb 1 00:16:54 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 5:21 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> That's one reason why letting the ISP decide whether or not to give
>> you a /24 suppresses abuse.
>>
> I suppose that depends on how you define abuse.  If you ask the ISP
> and they refuse, but, you have a legitimate reason for wanting to
> multihome, isn't that another form of abuse?

Hi Owen,

Not if your multihoming is two phone lines and a pair of $10 dialups,
no. Introducing a route into the DFZ isn't a God-given right
sanctified in the 42nd amendment. It's a privilege you pay hard cash
for and not everyone who can vend it chooses to.

I'd bet that the number of above-board providers who are willing to
provide you with BGP service but are unwilling to assign a /24 is
vanishingly small. That could well change after free pool depletion
but if this proposal achieves consensus then we'll have headed off
that worry before it can become a problem.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004