[arin-ppml] *Spam?* Re: Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Dec 30 12:17:19 EST 2010

In a message written on Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 09:52:21AM -0600, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> What are you going to do about the multitude of networks that
> have no access to native IPv6?  Yes there are areas in the country
> where no backbone provider offers IPv6.  Tunneling is not a good
> solution for production services.

Perhaps this is a symptom of too much free time on a Thursday before
a holiday......

Maybe a better method would be that if someone comes to ARIN for
IPv4 addresses and attests that their upstream is unable to provide
IPv6 services on their transit ports that the upstream ASN be
prohibited from getting more IPv4 addresses until it has enabled
IPv6 services to the customers.

It almost sounds like a good idea, until I think about the tracking
for ARIN and disputes that could arise.  It would be a very interesting
way to put pressure directly on the backbones that do not yet offer IPv6
to customers.