[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Dec 27 11:43:47 EST 2010

In a message written on Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 01:10:58PM -0700, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> 4.1.3. Dual-Stack
>
> Dual-stack refers to configuring both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address or
> network together on the same network infrastructure.
>
> All new IPv4 addresses assigned, allocated or transfered to an
> organization must be deployed on dual-stacked interfaces along with
> IPv6 addresses.

I strongly object to this petition for the same reason I objected
to the original proposal, the dual stack requirement.

I know there are folks who have deployed IPv6 enabled services by
having all IPv4 stuff in one data center, and all IPv6 stuff in a
second datacenter.  Different servers, differennt load balancers,
etc.  These folks are good actors, as they are "fully IPv6 enabled"
when accessing them over the Internet.  This policy would punish
them though for failing to deliver the service on the same "interface".

I think a more generic proposal that required some level of IPv6
deployment without specific technologies (dual-stack) in it might
win my support, but as-is, no way.