[arin-ppml] Sensible IPv6 Allocation Policies - Rev 0.8 (PP 121)

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Dec 1 10:32:28 EST 2010

On 12/1/2010 8:55 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Not at all... An organization which meets both criteria can choose whether they prefer to apply as an ISP or as an end user.
> An end-user organization cannot make any reassignments. Any organization which is making reassignments to customers
> is an ISP (or LIR).

I agree, though I believe that an organization reassigning space should
be a mandatory condition. Not that it can be enforced, but it is good
policy anyways.

> In reality, why would they want to be? There's no advantage to being an ISP vs. an end-user organization. All it does is raise your fees.

The /32 minimum allocations. Though perhaps it's not a big deal, as
spammers will either lie or utilize IPv4 status to get the /32 anyways.
My thought is not so much about the fact that people will game the
system or that it won't be enforced, but that it is just good policy to
define an ISP as what it is, not to arbitrarily categorize an
organization which does BGP as an ISP.

Jack