[arin-ppml] Critical Infrastructure post run-out

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:07:58 EDT 2010

APNIC has been discussing prop-085: Eligibility for critical
infrastructure assignments from the final /8, on their policy list in
preparation for APNIC 30 next week.  The policy deals with some side
effects of how APNIC's last /8 policy is implemented, ARIN doesn't have
the same specific issue.

http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-085

However, thinking about it, we do have the same general issue, what
happens to Critical Infrastructure and Exchange Points after IANA and
ARIN IPv4 run-out.

I read Owen's update for 2010-13, one way to go might to include
Critical Infrastructure and Exchange Point in it allowing for CI and EPs
to get IPv4 from those resources, if and only if they are supporting IPv6.

Another way to go could be to reserved a small pool for CI and EP
long-term.  I believe the burn rate for CI and EP is pretty low, so a
reserving something like a /16 for CI and EP would probably last a
fairly long time, and might be prudent.

Currently there is a little less than the equivalent of /16 of IPv4 CI,
and just over a the equivalent of /18 for EP space.

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/micro_allocations.html

So if we reserved another /16 for CI and EP, that is close to double
what is there now, I would hope that should last more than a little while.

But, I think I like the idea of allowing CI and EP out of a last /8
transition block of 2010-13 best.  That way we could require that they
are also doing IPv6, and by allowing it out of that block it might be
able to have a smaller minimum allocation size too.  I believe the
primary reason for the /24 minimum allocation size in CI and EP is /24
route filtering, If we end up with a smaller minimum allocation size for
the last /8 then a lot of CI could be done with a better address usage
efficiency.

Or maybe we do both;

Thoughts.
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952