[arin-ppml] IPv6 Allocation Planning

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 9 18:22:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda at icann.org> wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2010, at 2:38, William Herrin wrote:
>> And lest we forget: IPv6 is not currently a moneymaker nor anticipated
>> to soon be a moneymaker, so the funding to support any sort of long
>> range planning simply isn't there.
>
> Maybe I wasn't sufficiently clear. My question was intended
> to refer to the current allocation policy.
>
> If I understand your response, you are suggesting that the the
> issue is not that the policy causes problems for people who
> want to plan ahead but that ISPs are not sufficiently
> knowledgable and experienced to do so.

Hi Leo,

I think that's a fair way to put it. I think I would add a hint of
unreasonableness for expecting ISPs to be sufficiently experienced and
a healthy dose of skepticism aimed at anyone who claims to have enough
guiding knowledge.

> I am not sure
> how changing the way we do a calculation is going to
> solve this problem.

I don't think it will.

I think the shape of a solution looks more like a slow-start. Give
ISPs enough to get going, and when they run out use the knowledge
gained to figure out how much more to provide.

With particular care given to routing table impact:
* the degree to which the addressing policy enables individual ISPs to
minimize their own disaggregation,
* the degree to which it facilitates the policing of disaggregates by
the rest of the ISPs and
* are there ways we can minimize routing problems that could arise
from undesirable interactions between the initial policies and
whatever policies come once we know what we're doing?

We may not have much experience with IPv6 consumption but we have
decades of skill with how addressing policy both impacts and fails to
impact disaggregation.

That's the nutshell for my thinking on the subject. So far I've been
outvoted. ;-)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004