[arin-ppml] IPv4 Fragment Managemnt policy proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 28 17:38:13 EDT 2010

At ARIN XXV, one of the discussions pointed out that under current
ARIN policy, after IANA runout, a justified request for a /10 could
(and would) be satisfied, if necessary, by issuing 1024 disjoint /20s.

I believe there is a need for policy to prevent this kind of
gathering of the last breadcrumbs by a small number of large
entities. As such, I offer the following proposal for the discussion
of the community.

Owen

TEMPLATE: ARIN-POLICY-PROPOSAL-TEMPLATE-2.0

1.      Policy Proposal Name:	IPv4 Fragment Management
2.      Proposal Originator
        a.      name:		Owen DeLong
        b.      email:		owen at delong.com
        c.      telephone:	408-890-7992
        d.      organization:	Hurricane Electric
3.      Proposal Version:	0.8
4.      Date:			2010-04-28
5.      Proposal type:		New
        new, modify, or delete.
6.      Policy term:		Permanent
        temporary, permanent, or renewable.
7.      Policy statement:

	Add the following to the NRPM as new sections 4.2.1.7 et. seq.

	Each time ARIN approves an IPv4 request which it cannot
	satisfy from 4 or fewer bit-aligned blocks of free address
	space, ARIN shall notify the requestor that there is
	insufficient free address space to meet their request and
	shall offer the requestor their choice of the following
	alternatives:

	a.	They can have the largest 4 available bit-aligned
		blocks of free addresses.

	b.	This section reserved -- (in case we implement the
		waiting list for unmet requests policy)

	c.	They can seek resources through the directed
		transfer policy in section 8.3 of the NRPM.

8.      Rationale:

	When the ARIN free pool begins to diminish, the free space
	will become fragmented into smaller and smaller remaining
	contiguous spaces. This policy attempts to ensure that a
	large number of remaining disjoint small blocks are not
	consumed by a single large request.

	While this policy could be regarded as unfair to larger
	entities, it is consistent with the safeguards adopted in
	section 8.3 which require an exact match or full fill
	style of resource transfer.  As such, I believe the policy
	is fair and in line with the consensus will of the community.

9.      Timetable for implementation: Immediate, although it has no
		actual effect until some time after IANA runout.

END OF TEMPLATE