[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 26 02:13:37 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Gary Giesen <ggiesen at akn.ca> wrote:
> I think what he's trying to say is that cost is an issue *because* the
> business doesn't hang in the balance, and therefore the current pricing is
> an impediment to adoption. I don't really agree, because for all but the
> tiniest ISPs, $2250 is a tiny amount of their operating budget, and the cost
> of a couple decent CPE routers.

It's a line item in the overhead budget. The budget requested is
larger than the budget approved. First I cut the things that can wait
until next year. Then I cut the things that can wait until a salesman
tells me that customers have complained. If I'm lucky and the business
has had a good year, the cuts stop there.

CPE routers aren't in the overhead budget. They directly match a
specific paying account. Easy to buy things required by a specific
customer coughing up enough money to cover their cost. Tough to buy
overhead.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004