[arin-ppml] ULA-C

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Apr 1 15:51:53 EDT 2010

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>>     Alain> The IPv4 parallel to draw is not with RFC1918 (it is
>>     Alain> meaningless to advertize net10 because it is not unique), but
>>     Alain> with long prefixes in IPv4.  How many /24s in your routingb
>>     Alain> table? Or longer?
>>
>> So what?
>> Show me the IETF or ARIN or RIPE or ... policy that says that they
>> shouldn't be announced?
>
> More to the point there are direct analogies betwen the class-c swamp
> and the concerns expressed about the potential for unique assignments to
> be advertised at some point in the future. fwiw we do advertise our
> swamp space in an aggregated fashion because it's possible to do...
>
> The swamp almost broke the internet the last time around...

Is this an issue of ULA-C or PI, I see more of an analogy between the
swamp and PI, and lest in the fact of lots of unaggregatable routes.
For a majority of the ISPs ULA or ULA-C can be filtered with a single
policy statement and have a covering aggregate point at null.

One of the reasons that I believe the RIRs need to be involved in and
control the policy under which ULA-C is given out is to impose good
stewardship on the ULA-C resources.  This should help avoid the other
problem of the swamp, lots of stale or even rotted POC and assignment
information.

If you are going to have a registry it needs to be properly maintained,
that cost at least some money and if you doing want to pay for that then
use ULA-L.  And, this is not just a one-time payment, it costs money to
maintain the registry over time too.

Further, the costs of maintaining a registry for PI or ULA-C are
probably not going to be significantly different, you are doing most of
the same things.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952