[arin-ppml] IP Address Block Clean up

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Sep 14 17:18:49 EDT 2009

> as i replied on nanog
>
>     From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
>     Subject: Re: Hijacked Blocks
>     To: "Azinger, Marla" <marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com>
>     Cc: John Curran <jcurran at arin.net>, North American Network Operators
>      Group <nanog at nanog.org>
>     Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 05:47:59 +0900
>
>     > I haven't followed this entire string.  Are you saying ARIN is
> repeatedly handing out address space to known abusers?  If that's the case
> then yes, some form of policy should be worked on.
>
>     i might walk more slowly and with a bit less self-righteousness.  this
>     is not a simple area.  are we sure we want the rirs to become the net
>     content police?  how are they to judge?
>
>     e.g., prudent isps act against a customer when there is a court order,
>     not when the net gossip says they're bad actors.  i.e., the decision
> of
>     who is a bad actor is passed on to the society's normal judicial
>     process.
>
>     randy

I tend to agree with Randy on this one.  While it would be wonderful to
squish all the evildoers and make the internet a safe place for everyone, I
do not think it is within the scope of the RiR's mission to police content
or behavior.  Starting that philosophy could turn into a real tar baby we
would never escape from.

Once one starts acting to police an issue, the onus of responsibility falls
to them.

ARIN has a job they do very well, we should stick with it.