[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Sep 2 17:58:22 EDT 2009

Member Services wrote:

<clip>

> Policy statement:
>
> Replace NRPM 4.2.4.4 with;
>
> 4.2.4.4 Subscriber Members After One Year
>
> After an organization has been a subscriber member of ARIN for one year,
> they may choose to request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
>
> As the IANA free pool decreases, the length of supply that an
> organization may request will be reduced at the following thresholds.
> This reduction does not apply to resources received via section 8.3. An
> organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue to
> request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
>
> When IANA reaches 20 or fewer unallocated /8s, an organization may
> choose to request up to a 6 month supply of IP addresses;
>
> When IANA reaches 10 or fewer unallocated /8s, an organization may
> choose to request up to a 3 month supply of IP addresses;

<clip>

> 2. Comments
>
> A.  ARIN Staff Comments
>
>   The policy can be implemented as written.
>
>   The title of section 4.2.4.4 needs to change from “Twelve Months” to
> “Subscriber Members After One Year”.

I addresses this Staff comment and made the change they suggested to the
title of section 4.2.4.4, along with several others changes, before the
final revision was voted on by the AC and went out as a Draft policy.
While it didn't really change the intent, I felt the new title was much
more descriptive.

However, this raised a question for me personally, shouldn't we also
change the title of 4.2.4.3 to something more descriptive too?  Since
this was not directly pertinent to this policy issue I decided to leave
it out for now, feeling it could be added once we discussed this as a
Draft Policy on PPML or possibly even as late as Last Call if it is
necessary as it would likely only be an editorial change that wasn't
changing the intent of this policy or the NRPM as a whole.

 From the current NRPM;

----
4.2.4.3. Three months

Provide detailed information showing specifically that the address space
will be utilized within three months.  Determination of the appropriate
allocation to be issued is based on efficient utilization of space
within this three-month time frame.

4.2.4.4. Twelve months

After an organization has been a subscriber member of ARIN for one year,
they may choose to request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
----

For the full context of the current NRPM Section 4.2.4 see the following
link;

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24

So should 4.2.4.3 get a more descriptive title too, other than just
"Three months"?  Any suggestions on what it should be?

Should such a change be included in this Draft Policy?  If not, and you
think it should be changed, then how should we go about it?

If we want such a change included in the formal text to be discussed at
Dearborn we need to finalize the text for the change by the first few
days of October to give the AC and Staff a little process time before
the deadline to freeze the text 10 days before the PPM.  So, we have
about a month or so, if we want to go that route.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952