[arin-ppml] Post-exhaustion IPv4 policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 22 18:25:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> 1. If I request a /16 and you tell me you only have a /18, what's to
>> stop me from saying "Okay, give me the /18" and then two days later
>> saying, "Okay, put me on the wait list for a /16."
>
> The policy attempts to address that, in a deliberately vague statement that
> "Repeated requests, in a manner that would
> circumvent 4.1.6, are not allowed."  The idea, of course, is to give ARIN
> staff leeway to use their excellent fraud detection skills, combined with
> operational procedures that can be adjusted as needed.

Hi Scott,

Staff will be making such decisions under intense scrutiny. Any
judgment they're forced to exercise will tend to be the most lenient
the policy allows. Which is to say: no restriction on repeat requests
at all.

Giving staff discretion can be a good thing if done with appropriate
checks, but you also have to give them a policy vehicle that validates
and reinforces that discretion. In other words, it's better to say,
"You can have 1 a day but staff can waive the requirement" than "you
can have as many as you want but staff can limit you to 1 a day."

>> 2. How is giving me the /18 fair to the guy who is on the waiting list
>> for a /17? There's no guidance in the policy as to how ARIN is
>> supposed to build up enough addresses to satisfy that /17 request.
>
> My take on this is similar to what Warren just posted.  Basically, if the
> /17 holder will settle for a /18, he can change his request to be for the
> smaller size, and he'll be in the list before you.  If he wants to hold out
> for that /17 to be returned, he's welcome to.  But more than likely, he'll
> go find his own /17 on the transfer market before that.

Most likely he'll take the /18 and then go find a bunch of /24's on
the transfer market. Which defeats the purpose both of having a
waiting list and of trying to build to aggregation. That's why it
concerns me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004